Tuesday, March 9, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf

This sequel to The Howling is pretty bad. And not so bad it's good either. There are a few funny scenes, but mostly this movie is just a mess.

Karen White is dead and at her funeral, her brother, Ben (Reb Brown), and his friend Jenny (Annie McEnroe), meet Stefan (Christopher Lee), a werewolf hunter. They accompany him to Transylvania to stop Stirba, Queen of the Werewolves. If they don't kill her by the next full moon - which is the tenth millennium of Stirba's birth - at midnight on that day, all werewolves will reveal themselves.

I enjoyed this film up until the point where Stirba starts using magical powers - complete with lightning bolts flying out of her hands - to defend herself from the werewolf hunters. Why does a werewolf need magical powers? Just shapeshift and tear them to shreds! The movie just got worse from there.

The special effects were nowhere near as good as the first film. The werewolves looked more like bears than wolves.

The music was horrible. It basically consisted of one crappy 80's new wave song that they played over and over. The werewolf-centered lyrics of that song rival the lyrics R.L. Stine wrote in Bad Moonlight.

Howling II is just too ridiculous and nonsensical for me. I did enjoy the gore scenes though - especially the eyeball exploding scene. Oh, and this is another movie I watched for free on YouTube.

Rating: 2/5

1 comment:

Direct to Video Connoisseur said...

I have a tendency to like my horror movies ridiculous and nonsensical, so I gave this a totally different review on my blog. You might be happy to know, though, that I heard from a friend that Christopher Lee was embarrassed by this film, so he agrees with you.