Monday, March 1, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: The Final Destination

The Final Destination franchise is one of my favourites. The first Final Destination film is the only movie I can remember watching twice before returning it to where I rented it. And I have seen it at least 20 times since then. I even love the two sequels almost as much as the first. So I was thrilled when I heard there was going to be a new entry in the franchise and that it was going to be in 3-D. Unfortunately, I never got to see it in theatres and just watched it recently. It isn't as good as the first three.

When Nick (Bobby Campo) has a premonition of a crash at a raceway track killing everyone in the audience, he freaks out, saving the lives of a few people. But the survivors don't survive for long because Death is still after them.

The most disappointing part of the film was the part that usually makes the Final Destination films great: the inventive kill scenes. Some of them were good (especially the opening scene) but many were so unbelievable that I couldn't enjoy them. And none of them were as memorable as deaths in the previous films. When I think of the Final Destination franchise, I remember someone getting hit by a bus, elevator decapitation and people being burnt to a crisp in a tanning bed. I can't remember any of the deaths in The Final Destination and I just watched it. Maybe the deaths would've been better if they were in 3-D.

The cast of The Final Destination was fairly lousy, mostly comprised of unknowns. This really disappointed me because all the rest of the films in the franchise have featured one of my celebrity crushes. Final Destination had Devon Sawa who I have loved since I was 10 and saw him in Wild America with JTT. Final Destination 2 had James Kirk who played my favourite character on Canadian teen drama Edgemont. Final Destination 3 had Ryan Merriman who I have loved since I saw him in several Disney Channel movies (Smart House, The Luck of the Irish, etc.) when I was younger.

But for all my complaints, it still entertained me. I think I would've enjoyed it more if I had watched it in 3-D.

Rating: 3/5

No comments: