Thursday, January 14, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: Jennifer's Body

I enjoyed Juno and had been looking forward to seeing Diablo Cody's second film, Jennifer's Body for awhile and I finally watched it. And I enjoyed it almost as much as Juno.

After surviving a fire at the local bar in Devil's Kettle, Needy Lesnicki's (Amanda Seyfried) best friend, Jennifer Check (Megan Fox) begins acting strangely; for example, coming over to Needy's house late at night covered in blood. When dead bodies of boys from school are found partially eaten, Needy realizes that there's something very wrong with Jennifer.

The plot took an interesting twist on sacrificing virgins that I had never given any thought to before. It was a combination of a teen flick and a horror comedy, with lots of teen made-up slang, or "Cody-speak". I didn't mind though because I like teen films, if you don't, then you might not enjoy it as much as I did. But it's a funny, smart, satirical teen movie a la Heathers.

I loved the characters Needy and Jennifer, who reminded me of Laney Boggs (Rachel Leigh Cook) and Taylor Vaughn (Jodi Lyn O'Keefe) from one of my favourite teen flicks, She's All That. Megan Fox plays a believable bitchy demon and Amanda Seyfried is great as a nerdy pushover who changes drastically by the end of the film.

And everyone keeps talking about how hot Megan Fox is, but no one has mentioned the hot guys in the film. Two of my celebrity crushes are in the film: Adam Brody (The O.C.) and Kyle Gallner (Veronica Mars). And they look damn sexy with eye liner.

Adam Brody as the lead singer of indie
rock band Low Shoulder.

Kyle Gallner stars as one of Jennifer's snacks

Jennifer's Body is a fun flick and if you liked Juno, you'll enjoy it too. But if you hate Diablo Cody and can't stand "Cody-speak", well then why would you watch it anyway?

Rating: 4/5

No comments: