Wednesday, January 6, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: The Butterfly Effect 3: Revelations

The other film I put on my Best of 2009 list but haven't reviewed yet was The Butterfly Effect 3: Revelations. I loved the first Butterfly Effect film and thought this one was even better because it combines the time travel plot with horror elements. But you don't need to see the first film before this one. The only thing they have in common is time travel.

Sam Reide (Chris Carmack) can travel through time and uses his gift to help the police catch murderers. When the man who supposedly killed his girlfriend is about to be executed, her sister offers Sam $5000 to find out who the real killer is. But while he travels back, he leaves behind evidence that he was there and becomes implicated in the crimes.

I love time travel plots and I like how this one infused that with a whodunit murder mystery - a gory mystery. All the kills were incredibly gory since the weapon of choice was a hand-held buzz saw. And the twist in the film was mind-blowing. I was way off on who the killer was and couldn't believe the motive.

As I mentioned in my Best of 2009 list, the ending of this film was depressing, but not as depressing as the end of the first film when he strangles himself in the womb so that he's never born. Sorry if I'm spoiling that for anyone, but it's just the alternate ending, they copped out and gave the film a happy ending.

Chris Carmack (The O.C.) and Rachel Miner (Californication) give great performances. I'm a big fan of Miner, who has appeared in every After Dark Horrorfest so far. In 2006, she appeared in Penny Dreadful and in 2007, she was in Tooth and Nail. Melissa Jones, the winner of Miss HorrorFest 2007, also has a role in the movie.

There is only one special feature on the DVD, but it's an interesting and loooong one. It shows entries for the Miss HorrorFest 2008 contest, which were all very unique and well done (the winner was Vic Tim a.k.a. Kelly Marchand).

If you liked The Butterfly Effect and you like horror, then you'll love The Butterfly Effect 3: Revelations. Even if you've never seen the first film or hated it I recommend this film. It has an interesting plot and enough gore to keep you entertained. I still can't get over the twist...wow....

Rating: 5/5

No comments: