Friday, October 23, 2009

MOVIE REVIEW: Zombieland

I finally got to see Zombieland last weekend. Although it was pretty funny, it wasn't as hilarious as I heard it was and there weren't enough zombies.

Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg), a wimpy nerd, is traveling across the country to find his parents when he meets Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson), a tough guy obsessed with finding a twinkie. They come across sisters Wichita (Emma Stone) and Little Rock (Abigail Breslin) who are on their way to an amusement park which - rumour has it - is zombie-free. And the group decides to travel together and then go their separate ways.

As a comedy it was pretty good. I didn't laugh as much as I anticipated. But the celebrity cameo made me laugh so hard I choked on the Mini Eggs (now available all year long!) I smuggled into the theatre. And Tallahassee's twinkie obsession was hilarious. If I survived a zombie apocalypse I know I would be obsessed with finding my favourite candy (possibly Mini Eggs) too. And the dialogue was quotable ("Nut up or shut up," for an example), as were Columbus's rules to survive in Zombieland.

As a zombie film it was a letdown. Granted, the zombies featured were pretty creepy (especially the clown zombie) and the kills were good, but there were barely any featured. And you would think that in a world populated by mostly zombies, you would come across more of them. It seemed like the entire world was wiped out instead of turned into flesh-eating monsters.

The characters were extremely likable, but the girls' stupidity got on my nerves. They were always in trouble, needing the guys to come to their rescue. It especially annoyed me in the amusement park scene. Good thing Jesse Eisenberg worked at an amusement park in Adventureland is all I can say....

Overall, Zombieland was pretty funny but didn't have enough zombies. But I'll still give it a 4 because the celebrity cameo was so funny.

Rating: 4/5

No comments: