Monday, July 20, 2009

MOVIE REVIEW: Eden Lake


I'm going camping in one week and I'm pretty excited. So this week I'm going to dedicate all my posts to camping-related horror.

First up, Eden Lake.I saw this movie a few months ago and it has stuck with me since, especially its disturbing ending.

Eden Lake is about a couple who spend a romantic weekend at a secluded lake. However, the lake isn't too secluded. It's a hangout spot for a group of unruly teenagers. When the couple asks the teens to turn their music down, they refuse and slash the couple's tires in retaliation. The action keeps escalating, until the powerful conclusion.

This film's suspense didn't let up for a second. I was glued to the screen to see just how far these kids would go. And they go pretty far.... The film doesn't have a happy ending, but it will stick with you for a long time.

The plot is very believable, unlike other killer kid movies. I mean, kids aren't going to feed you to the monster in the corn fields or turn out to be the son of Satan. But kids nowadays are pretty messed up. They cave into peer pressure fairly easily, and just one rotten apple could spoil the bunch. Just like in this movie. It seems like most of the teens are essentially good kids, except for the leader of the group.

Occasionally the main characters' stupidity got on my nerves, just like most horror movies. First of all, none of this would've happened in the first place if the couple hadn't confronted the kids numerous times. Obviously they weren't going to turn the music down, so they should've just sucked it up or left. And I couldn't believe she spent the night in the forest after the teens take her boyfriend. Um how about going and getting some help?

Eden Lake was (mostly) a realistic film, making it that more disturbing. And it's different than most camping/lost in the woods films. Instead of having the usual monster, mutant hillbilly or masked killer, the monster is just a bunch of kids.

Hopefully irritating kids won't be at my campground next week. Well, even if there is I doubt this would happen to me...knock on wood.

Rating: 5/5

No comments: