Tuesday, February 17, 2009

MOVIE REVIEW: My Bloody Valentine 3D

I finally got to see My Bloody Valentine 3D on the weekend. I dragged my boyfriend, who hates horror movies, to it on Valentine's Day. What a sweet love story to watch with your valentine.

Well it does have a love story in it - sort of. Tom (Jensen Ackles) is dating Sarah (Jaime King) and they're partying at the mine with their friend Axel (Kerr Smith). Awhile back Tom accidentally caused an explosion in the mine, which was owned by his family. Only one man survived, Harry Warden, who was in a coma. On this night, Harry Warden comes out of his coma, killing several people in the hospital and heads to the mine. Tom, Sarah and Axel narrowly escape death by pickaxe. And Tom leaves town without a word to his friends and family.

Ten years later Tom is back in town to sell the mine and see old flame Sarah, who is now married to Axel, the town sheriff. But Harry Warden has also returned...

I love how the plot is completely different from the original. Instead of being another slasher about teens partying and having sex, it's about Tom selling the mine and their love triangle (which was kind of like Dawson's Creek vs. Supernatural to a CW/WB fan). But the movie still kept the best parts from the first film. The plot is never boring and you're still entertained when there isn't anyone being pickaxed to death.

All the gags and funny dialogue will also keep you entertained. There's tons of jokes and I laughed a lot during the film.

This was the first 3D movie I've ever seen, and the effects were incredible. There was blood spraying at my face, pickaxes thrown at my head, flashlight beams shined in my eyes and Jensen Ackles two feet away from me. It makes me wonder why they don't make everything in 3D. I bet it would've made Bride Wars better. Have the bouquet fly at your face or something.

I had a lot of fun watching this movie, which I can't say about many movies I've seen recently. And no other movies I've seen lately feature pickaxes being thrown at my head. So I give My Bloody Valentine 3D a perfect rating of 5/5.

Rating: 5/5

No comments: